Bazaar Release Notes
- Launchpad has announced that the edge.launchpad.net instance is
deprecated and may be shut down in the future
<http://blog.launchpad.net/general/edge-is-deprecated>. Bazaar has therefore
been updated in this release to talk to the main (launchpad.net) servers,
rather than the edge ones. (Vincent Ladeuil, #583667)
- Avoid spurious ValueErrors when autopacking a subset of the repository,
and seeing a revision without its related inventory
(John Arbash Meinel, #437003)
- Avoid UnicodeDecodeError in bzr add with multiple files under a non-ascii
path on windows from symlink support addition. (Martin [gz], #686611)
- Fix activity reporting for pycurl when using https with some
implementations of curl. (Vincent Ladeuil, #614713)
The sixth release in our 2.0 series addresses several user-inconvenience
bugs. None are critical, but upgrading is recommended for all users on
earlier 2.0 releases.
- Additional merges after an unrelated branch has been merged with its
history no longer crash when deleted files are involved.
(Vincent Ladeuil, John Arbash Meinel, #375898)
- bzr add SYMLINK/FILE now works properly when the symlink points to a
previously-unversioned directory within the tree: the directory is
marked versioned too.
(Martin Pool, #192859)
- bzr commit SYMLINK now works, rather than trying to commit the
target of the symlink.
(Martin Pool, John Arbash Meinel, #128562)
- bzr revert now only takes write lock on working tree, instead of on
both working tree and branch.
(Danny van Heumen, #498409)
- bzr upgrade now creates the backup.bzr directory with the same
permissions as .bzr directory on a POSIX OS.
(Parth Malwankar, #262450)
- Don’t traceback trying to unversion children files of an already
unversioned directory. (Vincent Ladeuil, #494221)
- Don’t traceback when a lockdir’s held/info file is corrupt (e.g.
contains only NUL bytes). Instead warn the user, and allow bzr
break-lock to remove it. (Andrew Bennetts, #619872)
- Fix AttributeError on parent.children when adding a file under a
directory that was a symlink in the previous commit.
(Martin Pool, #192859)
- Prevent CHKMap.apply_delta from generating non-canonical CHK maps,
which can result in “missing referenced chk root keys” errors when
fetching from repositories with affected revisions.
(Andrew Bennetts, #522637)
- Raise ValueError instead of a string exception.
(John Arbash Meinel, #586926)
- Reduce peak memory by one copy of compressed text.
(John Arbash Meinel, #566940)
- Repositories accessed via a smart server now reject being stacked on a
repository in an incompatible format, as is the case when accessing them
via other methods. This was causing fetches from those repositories via
a smart server (e.g. using bzr branch) to receive invalid data.
(Andrew Bennetts, #562380)
- Selftest with versions of subunit that support stopTestRun will no longer
error. This error was caused by 2.0 not being updated when upstream
python merged the end of run patch, which chose stopTestRun rather than
done. (Robert Collins, #571437)
- When passing a file to UTF8DirReader make sure to close the current
directory file handle after the chdir fails. Otherwise when passing many
filenames into a command line bzr status we would leak descriptors.
(John Arbash Meinel, #583486)
- build_tree_contents can create symlinks.
(Martin Pool, John Arbash Meinel)
This fifth release in our 2.0 series addresses several user-inconvenience
bugs. None are critical, but upgrading is recommended for all users on
earlier 2.0 releases.
- Avoid malloc(0) in patiencediff, which is non-portable.
(Martin Pool, #331095)
- Concurrent autopacking is more resilient to already-renamed pack files.
If we find that a file we are about to obsolete is already obsoleted, we
do not try to rename it, and we leave the file in obsolete_packs.
The code is also fault tolerant if a file goes missing, assuming that
another process already removed the file.
(John Arbash Meinel, Gareth White, #507557)
- Cope with the lockdir held/info file being empty, which seems to
happen fairly often if the process is suddenly interrupted while taking
(Martin Pool, #185103)
- Give the warning about potentially slow cross-format fetches much
earlier on in the fetch operation. Don’t show this message during
upgrades, and show the correct format indication for remote
(Martin Pool, #456077, #515356, #513157)
- Handle renames correctly when there are files or directories that
differ only in case. (Chris Jones, Martin Pool, #368931)
- If bzr push --create-prefix triggers an unexpected NoSuchFile
error, report that error rather than failing with an unhelpful
(Andrew Bennetts, #423563)
- Running bzr command without any arguments now shows bzr
version number along with rest of the help text.
(Parth Malwankar, #369501)
- Use osutils.O_NOINHERIT for some files on win32 to avoid PermissionDenied
(Inada Naoki, #524560)
- Added location-alias help topic.
(Andrew Bennetts, #337834)
- Fixed CHM generation by moving the NEWS section template into
a separate file. (Ian Clatworthy, #524184)
The fourth bugfix-only release in the 2.0 series contains more than a
dozen bugfixes relative to 2.0.3. The primary focus is on handling
interruptions and concurrent operations more cleanly, there is also a fair
improvement to bzr export when exporting a remote branch.
- bzr annotate on another branch with -r branch:... no longer
fails with an ObjectNotLocked error. (Andrew Bennetts, #496590)
- bzr export dir now requests all file content as a record stream,
rather than requsting the file content one file-at-a-time. This can make
exporting over the network significantly faster (54min => 9min in one
case). (John Arbash Meinel, #343218)
- bzr serve no longer slowly leaks memory. The compiled
bzrlib.bencode.Encoder() class was using __del__ to cleanup and
free resources, and it should have been using __dealloc__.
This will likely have an impact on any other process that is serving for
an extended period of time. (John Arbash Meinel, #494406)
- Check for SIGINT (Ctrl-C) and other signals immediately if readdir
returns EINTR by calling PyErr_CheckSignals. This affected the
optional _readdir_pyx extension. (Andrew Bennetts, #495023)
- Concurrent autopacks will no longer lose a newly created pack file.
There was a race condition, where if the reload happened at the right
time, the second packer would forget the name of the newly added pack
file. (John Arbash Meinel, Gareth White, #507566)
- Give a clearer message if the lockdir disappears after being apparently
successfully taken. (Martin Pool, #498378)
- Give a warning when fetching between repositories (local or remote) with
sufficiently different formats that the content will need to be
serialized (ie InterDifferingSerializer or inventory-deltas), so
the user has a clue that upgrading could make it faster.
(Martin Pool, #456077)
- If we fail to open ~/.bzr.log write a clear message to stderr rather
than using warning(). The log file is opened before logging is set
up, and it leads to very confusing: ‘no handlers for “bzr”’ messages for
users, rather than something nicer.
(John Arbash Meinel, Barry Warsaw, #503886)
- Refuse to build with any Pyrex 0.9.4 release, as they have known bugs.
(Martin Pool, John Arbash Meinel, #449372)
- setup.py bdist_rpm now properly finds extra files needed for the
build. (there is still the distutils bug
http://bugs.python.org/issue644744) (Joe Julian, #175839)
- The 2a format wasn’t properly restarting autopacks when something
changed underneath it (like another autopack). Now concurrent
autopackers will properly succeed. (John Arbash Meinel, #495000)
- TreeTransform can now handle when a delta says that the file id for
the tree root changes. Rather than trying to rename your working
directory, or failing early saying that you can’t have multiple
tree roots. This also fixes revert, update, and pull when the root id
changes. (John Arbash Meinel, #494269, #504390)
- _update_current_block no longer suppresses exceptions, so ^C at just
the right time will get propagated, rather than silently failing to move
the block pointer. (John Arbash Meinel, Gareth White, #495023)
- We have a new test_source that ensures all pyrex cdef functions
handle exceptions somehow. (Possibly by setting # cannot_raise
rather than an except ?: clause.) This should help prevent bugs like
bug #495023. (John Arbash Meinel)
The third stable release of Bazaar has a small handful of bugfixes. As
expected, this has no internal or external compatibility changes versus
2.0.2 (or 2.0.0).
- bzr push --use-existing-dir no longer crashes if the directory
exists but contains an invalid .bzr directory.
(Andrew Bennetts, #423563)
- Content filters are now applied correctly after pull, merge and switch.
(Ian Clatworthy, #385879)
- Fix a potential segfault in the groupcompress hash map handling code.
When inserting new entries, if the final hash bucket was empty, we could
end up trying to access if (last_entry+1)->ptr == NULL.
(John Arbash Meinel, #490228)
- Improve “Binary files differ” hunk handling. (Aaron Bentley, #436325)
|Codename:||after the scare
The second in our “let’s keep the stable bugfixes flowing” series. As
expected this has a few (~9) bugfixes relative to 2.0.1, and no major api
changes or features.
- Avoid “NoneType has no attribute st_mode” error when files disappear
from a directory while it’s being read. (Martin Pool, #446033)
- Content filters are now applied correctly after revert.
- Diff parsing handles “Binary files differ” hunks. (Aaron Bentley, #436325)
- Fetching from stacked pre-2a repository via a smart server no longer
fails intermittently with “second push failed to complete”.
(Andrew Bennetts, #437626)
- Fix typos left after test_selftest refactoring.
(Vincent Ladeuil, Matt Nordhoff, #461149)
- Fixed ObjectNotLocked errors during bzr log -r NNN somefile.
(Andrew Bennetts, #445171)
- PreviewTree file names are not limited by the encoding of the temp
directory’s filesystem. (Aaron Bentley, #436794)
- bzr log now read-locks branches exactly once, so makes better use of
data caches. (Andrew Bennetts)
- Filtered views user documentation upgraded to refer to format 2a
instead of pre-2.0 formats. (Ian Clatworthy)
The first of our new ongoing bugfix-only stable releases has arrived. It
includes a collection of 12 bugfixes applied to bzr 2.0.0, but does not
include any of the feature development in the 2.1.0 series.
- bzr add in a tree that has files with \r or \n in the
filename will issue a warning and skip over those files.
(Robert Collins, #3918)
- bzr will attempt to authenticate with SSH servers that support
keyboard-interactive auth but not password auth when using
Paramiko. (Andrew Bennetts, #433846)
- Fixed fetches from a stacked branch on a smart server that were failing
with some combinations of remote and local formats. This was causing
“unknown object type identifier 60” errors. (Andrew Bennetts, #427736)
- Fixed ObjectNotLocked errors when doing some log and diff operations
on branches via a smart server. (Andrew Bennetts, #389413)
- Handle things like bzr add foo and bzr rm foo when the tree is
at the root of a drive. osutils._cicp_canonical_relpath always
assumed that abspath() returned a path that did not have a trailing
/, but that is not true when working at the root of the filesystem.
(John Arbash Meinel, Jason Spashett, #322807)
- Hide deprecation warnings for ‘final’ releases for python2.6.
(John Arbash Meinel, #440062)
- Improve the time for bzr log DIR for 2a format repositories.
We had been using the same code path as for <2a formats, which required
iterating over all objects in all revisions.
(John Arbash Meinel, #374730)
- Make sure that we unlock the tree if we fail to create a TreeTransform
object when doing a merge, and there is limbo, or pending-deletions
directory. (Gary van der Merwe, #427773)
- Occasional IndexError on renamed files have been fixed. Operations that
set a full inventory in the working tree will now go via the
apply_inventory_delta code path which is simpler and easier to
understand than dirstates set_state_from_inventory method. This may
have a small performance impact on operations built on _write_inventory,
but such operations are already doing full tree scans, so no radical
performance change should be observed. (Robert Collins, #403322)
- Retrieving file text or mtime from a _PreviewTree has good performance when
there are many changes. (Aaron Bentley)
- The CHK index pages now use an unlimited cache size. With a limited
cache and a large project, the random access of chk pages could cause us
to download the entire cix file many times.
(John Arbash Meinel, #402623)
- When a file kind becomes unversionable after being added, a sensible
error will be shown instead of a traceback. (Robert Collins, #438569)
- Improved README. (Ian Clatworthy)
- Improved upgrade documentation for Launchpad branches.
This release of Bazaar makes the 2a (previously ‘brisbane-core’) format
the default when new branches or repositories are created. This format is
substantially smaller and faster for many operations. Most of the work in
this release focuses on bug fixes and stabilization, covering both 2a and
previous formats. (See the Upgrade Guide for information on migrating
This release also improves the documentation content and presentation,
including adding Windows HtmlHelp manuals.
The Bazaar team decided that 2.0 will be a long-term supported release,
with bugfix-only 2.0.x releases based on it, continuing for at least six
months or until the following stable release.
Changes from 2.0.0rc2 to final
- Officially branded as 2.0.0 rather than 2.0 to clarify between things
that “want to happen on the 2.0.x stable series” versus things that want
to “land in 2.0.0”. (Changes how bzrlib._format_version_tuple() handles
micro = 0.) (John Arbash Meinel)
- Added post_commit hook for mutable trees. This allows the keywords
plugin to expand keywords on files changed by the commit.
(Ian Clatworthy, #408841)
- Bazaar’s native protocol code now correctly handles EINTR, which most
noticeably occurs if you break in to the debugger while connected to a
bzr+ssh server. You can now can continue from the debugger (by typing
‘c’) and the process continues. However, note that pressing C-in the
shell may still kill the SSH process, which is bug 162509, so you must
sent a signal to the bzr process specifically, for example by typing
kill -QUIT PID in another shell. (Martin Pool, #341535)
- bzr check in pack-0.92, 1.6 and 1.9 format repositories will no
longer report incorrect errors about Missing inventory ('TREE_ROOT', ...)
(Robert Collins, #416732)
- bzr info -v on a 2a format still claimed that it was a “Development
format” (John Arbash Meinel, #424392)
- bzr log stacked-branch shows the full log including
revisions that are in the fallback repository. (Regressed in 2.0rc1).
(John Arbash Meinel, #419241)
- Clearer message when Bazaar runs out of memory, instead of a MemoryError
traceback. (Martin Pool, #109115)
- Conversion to 2a will create a single pack for all the new revisions (as
long as it ran without interruption). This improves both bzr upgrade
and bzr pull or bzr merge from local branches in older formats.
The autopack logic that occurs every 100 revisions during local
conversions was not returning that pack’s identifier, which resulted in
the partial packs created during the conversion not being consolidated
at the end of the conversion process. (Robert Collins, #423818)
- Fetches from 2a to 2a are now again requested in ‘groupcompress’ order.
Groups that are seen as ‘underutilized’ will be repacked on-the-fly.
This means that when the source is fully packed, there is minimal
overhead during the fetch, but if the source is poorly packed the result
is a fairly well packed repository (not as good as ‘bzr pack’ but
good-enough.) (Robert Collins, John Arbash Meinel, #402652)
- Fix a potential segmentation fault when doing ‘log’ of a branch that had
ghosts in its mainline. (Evaluating None as a tuple is bad.)
(John Arbash Meinel, #419241)
- groupcompress sort order is now more stable, rather than relying on
topo_sort ordering. The implementation is now
KnownGraph.gc_sort. (John Arbash Meinel)
- Local data conversion will generate correct deltas. This is a critical
bugfix vs 2.0rc1, and all 2.0rc1 users should upgrade to 2.0rc2 before
converting repositories. (Robert Collins, #422849)
- Network streams now decode adjacent records of the same type into a
single stream, reducing layering churn. (Robert Collins)
- Prevent some kinds of incomplete data from being committed to a 2a
repository, such as revisions without inventories, a missing chk_bytes
record for an inventory, or a missing text referenced by an inventory.
(Andrew Bennetts, #423506, #406687)
- Fix assertion error about “_remember_remote_is_before” when pushing to
older smart servers.
(Andrew Bennetts, #418931)
- Help on hooks no longer says ‘Not deprecated’ for hooks that are
currently supported. (Ian Clatworthy, #422415)
- PDF and CHM (Windows HtmlHelp) formats are now supported for the
user documentation. The HTML documentation is better broken up into
topics. (Ian Clatworthy)
- The developer and foreign language documents are now separated
out so that searching in the HTML and CHM files produces more
useful results. (Ian Clatworthy)
- The main table of contents now provides links to the new Migration Docs
and Plugins Guide. (Ian Clatworthy)
- The default format for bzr is now 2a. This format brings many
significant performance and size improvements. bzr can pull from
any existing repository into a 2a one, but can only transfer
from 2a into rich-root repositories. The Upgrade guide
has more information about this change. (Robert Collins)
- On Windows auto-detection of Putty’s plink.exe is disabled.
Default SSH client for Windows is paramiko. User still can force
usage of plink if explicitly set environment variable BZR_SSH=plink.
(#414743, Alexander Belchenko)
- bzr branch --switch can now switch the checkout in the current directory
to the newly created branch. (Lukáš Lalinský)
- Further tweaks to handling of bzr add messages about ignored files.
(Jason Spashett, #76616)
- Fetches were being requested in ‘groupcompress’ order, but weren’t
recombining the groups. Thus they would ‘fragment’ to get the correct
order, but not ‘recombine’ to actually benefit from it. Until we get
recombining to work, switching to ‘unordered’ fetches avoids the
fragmentation. (John Arbash Meinel, #402645)
- Fix a pycurl related test failure on karmic by recognizing an error
raised by newer versions of pycurl.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #306264)
- Fix a test failure on karmic by making a locale test more robust.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #413514)
- Fix IndexError printing CannotBindAddress errors.
(Martin Pool, #286871)
- Fix “Revision ... not present” errors when upgrading stacked branches,
or when doing fetches from a stacked source to a stacked target.
(Andrew Bennetts, #399140)
- bzr branch of 2a repositories over HTTP is much faster. bzr now
batches together small fetches from 2a repositories, rather than
fetching only a few hundred bytes at a time.
(Andrew Bennetts, #402657)
- A better description of the platform is shown in crash tracebacks, bzr
--version and bzr selftest.
(Martin Pool, #409137)
- bzr can now (again) capture crash data through the apport library,
so that a single human-readable file can be attached to bug reports.
This can be disabled by using -Dno_apport on the command line, or by
putting no_apport into the debug_flags section of
(Martin Pool, Robert Collins, #389328)
- bzr push locally on windows will no longer give a locking error with
dirstate based formats. (Robert Collins)
- bzr shelve and bzr unshelve now work on windows.
(Robert Collins, #305006)
- Commit of specific files no longer prevents using the iter_changes
codepath. On 2a repositories, commit of specific files should now be as
fast, or slightly faster, than a full commit. (Robert Collins)
- The internal core code that handles specific file operations like
bzr st FILENAME or bzr commit FILENAME has been changed to
include the parent directories if they have altered, and when a
directory stops being a directory its children are always included. This
fixes a number of causes for InconsistentDelta errors, and permits
faster commit of specific paths. (Robert Collins, #347649)
- New developer documentation for content filtering.
- bzrlib.shelf_ui has had the from_args convenience methods of its
classes changed to manage lock lifetime of the trees they open in a way
consistent with reader-exclusive locks. (Robert Collins, #305006)